Search This Blog

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Government Job = No Work For Life..!!


'Government officials have no intention to work in life ever', a truth not hidden from any Indian over here. They think that they bestow a favor upon us by doing the work, they were once hired and are still paid for. As if they do a favor to all the citizens of India by sitting on the chair for hours less than the actual office hours, whether it's a bank, post-office, water board, electricity or telephone department etc..They know all the tricks in the world to kill time while they are in office. It may be killing time in sipping a cup of tea, with each sip lasting for a minute or so, telephonic conversations- which could span across several minutes to hours..depending on how unlucky you are..

And I came across a similar situation, once again, today. Yep, I had to go and get some work done in the nearby post-office. This one has quiet a good amount of space compared to the typical size of a post office in India. There are two counters, made by an unmarked division of the same table. One for the post or courier related stuff while the other one for savings & deposits related things. While the other man, dealing with courier, parcel and other things, was atleast a little interested in doing his job. While this another guy, quite old one, the in-charge for saving & deposit related things, is pretty lazy, dis-interested in work and hence very very indifferent to people. This guy takes more than 20 minutes just to get an entry done in savings account passbook. Now it's not that hard to imagine the amount of time it would have taken for my chance to come if I was on the 6th number in the queue. He made 2 of these people, standing before me in the queue, go back and get few more documents within the blink of an eye. And he does this intentionally. I think he gets some kind of happiness in troubling people. 

No, no, no..I am not a saddist. I saw him doing it to a hell lot of people before coming to a conclusion. Not only this time but also during my last two visits. I went there since he had asked me to come after a week & collect the NSC. So, I was there, exactly after a week. After waiting for an hour and half in the queue, there came my chance to talk to him. Imagine what he tells me after making me wait for another 15 minutes for no reason..'Oh no no, we are running out of NSC certificates, so come next week and collect it'. I was quiet irritated and said 'You only asked me to come after a week and now you are asking me to come again next week'. He could sense my anger I think. So he said 'Have you put your phone number in the form?' ..I said 'Yes' with brows raised..He said 'Ok then, I will give you a call when it is ready and you may come and collect anytime after that'. I found it worthless to argue with him anymore and simply came back..What else could I have done..He was not going to give it to me today... anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment