Search This Blog

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Random Act of Kindness # 4

“Help others without any reason and give without the expectation of receiving anything in return.” 
― Roy T. Bennett


Well, someone did something really nice for me this week and I could not really find the right words to thank her. I left home at around 5:25 am in the morning(~30 mins ride to the airport) to catch an 8:00 am flight. I didn't want to wake up too early, so decided to eat something at the airport. The Uber driver dropped me there at around 6:10.

There was a very long line at TSA security screening and it took a little over an hour and a half. There was almost no time to buy anything at the time. I was tired, hungry and felt dizzy. I boarded the plane and made my way to my seat. It was not a full flight, and there was just two of us in our section, me and an old(but full of life) woman. It was already 8:10 but the flight did not take off. I appreciate punctuality. She and I ended up commenting at the topic at the same time. I usually find it really hard to ask someone for help in case of illness, in all other aspects it's easy to reach out to people. 

I mentioned that I was very hungry, felt a bit lightheaded and was hoping to get some food on flight but they would not serve anything until the flight departs. She said she felt the same. She was amazing, and super generous. She had a fruit and a giant blueberry muffin. She not just offered me the fruit and muffin, but forced me to have it(I didn't want to take her food, she had just one of each). It was already 8:25 am. In all other occasions, I would not take food or drink from a stranger but I really needed to eat something, so I did. In 10 mins, I felt alive again. 

I am glad I did because Delta airlines is weird, they only had a box of cheese and a few grapes, for vegetarians, and I can't eat that for sure, picky eater.


Image credit - Pixabay


I thanked her a few times but it didn't feel enough. You know when someone helps you, at the time, when you need it the most, there are never enough/right words to thank them. We had a good conversation for rest of the flight and she, being a long time Atlanta resident, shared some Atlanta dos/don'ts, all in all it felt great to meet a nice and kind stranger. I am hoping to pay it forward in the near future.

“It only takes a split second to smile and forget, yet to someone that needed it, it can last a lifetime.” 
― Steve Maraboli


No comments:

Post a Comment